Tuesday, 9 February 2016

And now for something completely different - with Powertex

Ok - so now for something completely different! You know how much of a clean and simple crafter I am? Well at a recent craft show I discovered Powertex - the fabric hardening liquid. It's dirty, it's mucky, it's messy - and I LOVED it! My friend signed me up for the workshop mainly to laugh at me being uncomfortable I think, but it backfired as I had a ball! 

You massage the Powertex liquid through natural, or mainly natural fabrics making sure it's covered every fibre (but not soaking wet). Then you can shape the fabric as you want and leave it to air dry. After 24 hrs its stiff, after 3 weeks it's weather resistant so could go in the garden if you want.

On the workshops at the show we used fabric, mdf shapes and fabric with the Powertex to create a broach and a plaque. When we got home we raided the local charity shops for inexpensive natural fabrics and got messy playing. I decided to try to take the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter. I used a bit of tin foil to sculpt the shape of the Sorting Hat & some tiny bits to hold the features of it's face in place until it set. Once dry I brushed some burgundy & gold pigment on to highlight the folds. 

I'm so pleased with how he turned out :D





Thanks Emma and all of the Powertex team. Hmmm now what can I make next?

4 comments:

  1. Lucy.. you are amazing.. that is beyond Frickin awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally amazing! And Lucy I NEED one of these.. Tee hee.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think this stuff looks amazing, Lucy, but so far it hasn't grabbed me! Each to their own, I suppose... Thanks for your visit, and yes, it's great to have my mojo back. I'm really enjoying it.

    Shoshi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God.... just found this in an unrelated Google search! LUCY! This is so freaking amazeballs xxSAMxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...