Sunday, 4 November 2012

Simpy Betty's 13 Days Of Halloween - Day 13





Well here we are at the end of the 13 Days of Halloween Challenges. I've had a great time doing the ones I've join in with this year & hope to do even more next year. I'm looking forward to it already.

This time the Challenge was Trick or Treat - we had to show a favourite trick or give a treat. 

I thought I'd show you how to make a self standing pop up card. Be warned there are lots of pictures!

Here's what the finished card looks like

Firstly colour & cut out your image. I used the brilliant Jack Skellington from Simply Betty

Take a piece of card 28 cm long by 15cm wide. Score it at:
2.5cm,   6.5cm,   9.5cm,   14cm,   18.5cm,   21.5cm,  & 25.5cm

I used my faithful Hougie Board for this - I bought it when it was first released in 2010 & it's become indispensable

for those on the other side of the pond you need the card to be 11" long & score at:
1",   2.75",   3.75",   5.5",   7.25",   8.25"   & 10"


Fold all the score lines then fold the card in half. Cut a small slit along the centre fold just wide enough to fit your picture in.

Your card should now look like this

Fold the two ends in and put strong sticking tape on both 

Thread your picture through the hole ...

line it up on the bottom of the folded section & stick firmly. 
Fix the other taped section, carefully making sure the bottom edges line up so it will sit straight.

Your Picture will then pop out of the top of the hole when you push the top down.

Add any decoration you like. I made these Tombstones in Inkscape, printed them & coloured them with Promarkers. I dotted the surface with the blender to give a slightly mottled effect & added moss to the top & side with the olive pen. 

Remember that as you look at it flat the bottom section (by my fingers) will be underneath, the middle section will be the front & the top section will be horizontal on the top surface, so bear this in mind when choosing how to decorate it.

When you let it go or push the top fold down it will create a box & stand on it's own. 
This is the sideways view.

And here's how it looks stood on it's own. Jack looks great in him own graveyard. 


This trick works well for all sorts of images - here's the anniversary card I made my Husband this year using Birthday Cake Surprise Girl from Redonkulus Designs - fun eh?





10 comments:

  1. FAB tutorial - I have tried and tried with these before but never been successful! Will try your instructions as soon as! Love your card too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina - if anything doesn't work or doesn't make sense let me know x

      Delete
  2. Ooh this is ace!! Will bookmark it for future use ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Love the way you've put Jack in a graveyard! Great tutorial!
    {hugs}
    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cool is this and you make it look so easy..wow I love it..thanks for joining us at SCC :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project. Great tutorial to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Tutorial, GREAT project!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love pop ups, they are so much fun, and yours are a real inspiration. Thanks for helping and sharing. It's very much appreciated

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...